Went for a 3-day trip to Mexico last week. Short, yet unforgettable. “Why Mexico? It’s so random!” Many friends asked. The idea of this trip was conceived during a short conversation, and made possible by a friend’s faithful commitment that struck my heart.
“Promise that we will meet before you leave.” This very good friend asked me after knowing that I didn't pass the second defense.
“I promise!” I replied.
“And I really wish we can do a trip as we have been talking for a long time. If you have time, we can go for a few days. If you don't, a one-day Philly trip will also be good. I know you're busy, just leave all the planning work to us. You only have to get the flight ticket.” He continued.
“Okay, let's do a short trip!” Nothing is better than to have someone plans for the trip and you just go and enjoy it. And my friend kept his promise, from searching for flight and hotel, to planning for transportation, itinerary, and reminded me to get peso.
That was how we few friends just flew to Mexico.
We stayed in Chichen Itza, the Mayan historical ruins that is four and a half hours away from the Cancun airport. Our return flight was 2:30pm, we planned to take the bus from Chichen Itza at 6am to allow leeway and lunch time. Out of the love of ocean, I brought up a crazy idea of going to the beach before heading to the airport, if the bus arrived Cancun early. End up the bus arrived on time, without a second thought, this friend just called the shots, “It’s only 11:30. Let’s go to the beach.” Then we paid for the taxi to go all the way to the seashore.
Standing in front of the sea level that stretches as far as the eye can see, my eyes and mouth opened as wide as a basin. Immediately I turned from a twenty-seven to a seven year-old, I took off my shoes and socks to run to the water in full speed. Wavering my hands, I kept saying “Wow it’s so beautiful!!! Look at the different layers of blue!” for approximately 70 times. “Wow, we never saw you being so excited.” My friends commented.
After basking in my excitement for 20 minutes, we rushed back to the taxi to catch the flight. This friend always exceeds the necessities of friendship, even when it doesn’t really make much sense.
This friend is the most committed person to friendship I have ever seen. Every time when he commits to a promise, he just goes out of his way to be faithful. One time I need someone to immediately proofread a formal writing, he was willing to help even though it was midnight in his time zone. Another time, after editing and offering suggestions to my prospectus draft, without hesitation he just asked me to send him the second draft when I am done, despite his upcoming deadlines. When I am preparing the application materials, this friend, again, asked me to send him for proofread. I tried very hard to think, but I really can’t recall even one time that he failed to keep his commitment of offering help.
This friend is someone who treasures friendships not only by words but also by actions. Recently I casually asked for a tea chat, but I picked a bad timing when he had to take care of some works. However, a minute later, he told me, “Let’s do tea. My work can wait. But friends can’t.” He never stints on his time.
This friend is whom I can still talk with even when I have sore throat. Because I only have to tell the first part of my sharing, and this friend would be able to understand the rest. One time I mentioned briefly of a decision, without any further explanation, he could figure out all my rationale and feelings behind it. I had to exercise effort to make sure my jaw did not drop. This deep understanding amazes me from time to time.
Sometimes, the closer the friendship, the easier we take the grace for granted. I don’t have much to sow in this friendship. But if it ever means something, I would like to grant this friend the title of “The Most Loyal Reader.” In one of my most tired moments over prospectus preparation, he commanded me, “Hey, you should get back to your FB posts after the prospectus! Your last post was when, like two weeks ago? Your readers are waiting for you!” It was one of the best encouragements, though he might be one of the two or three “readers” who follow my posts. And by action, he is always one of the very first people who read and like every post of mine, and can always recall the detailed contents, as if he was the writer.
-----
There are people who truly treasure friendship by heart, that it is never on their agenda about what they could get from friends as a reciprocation in return. But what they care the most is whether their selfless pouring out can delight a friend’s heart, can bring a big smile on a friend’s face. And this friend is one of those.
-----
There are people who truly treasure friendship by heart, that it is never on their agenda about what they could get from friends as a reciprocation in return. But what they care the most is whether their selfless pouring out can delight a friend’s heart, can bring a big smile on a friend’s face. And this friend is one of those.
Life has different seasons. People come and go when environment changes and time passes. There are friends we are just unable to stay in touch. There are friends we try but doesn’t work out. Having said that, there are friendships whom we just believe and know they would remain. Regardless of time and place. And this friendship is one of those.
No comments:
Post a Comment