Saturday, August 20, 2016

(BP?) "Home"

“Do you still miss home this time?” My mentor asked after I texting her about my flying back to Princeton.
Yes, of course, home is where my family is, and family is important (this statement should be able to secure accommodation and food for my next home trip XD). And my friends as well. Also, Hong Kong is where I was born and raised, with the language and culture I am most familiar with.
However, when I was taking a morning walk today, I also felt that I came back to a familiar community. I know which my favourite bakery is; I know where to get the tea I want; I remember which school building is at the turn of the corner; and my favourite quiet-time spots just came in my mind naturally. And by “community”, I mean people as well. My flight got delayed last night, and my friend who kindly offered to drive me from the train station to my apartment was so faithful to uphold her promise, even though I didn't get to the station until 1:30am. And friends who are eager to schedule meals to catch up, though we just haven't met for a month or two. During the evening walk after dinner, my friend looked at the table area outside a dining hall and asked, “Do you remember the last time we had meal there with another friend? It was already 2 years ago.” I honestly did not remember it had been two years. And then my friend also showed me some new ways heading back to my apartment, which I never set my feet on before.
There are things I am familiar with, but also new things yet to discover. All these both foster and fortify a sense of home. Or, of “second homes”, to be more precisely.
It’s gonna be the fourth year I am away from home. My sense of existence at home became kind of interesting, and may be vague sometimes. When I was in Hong Kong, an occasion reminded dad of something, and he turned to me and said, “You know, last time when mom and I were in…” In the midst of his sharing, I couldn’t help but interrupt, “Dad, I was with you guys at that time. It was just three weeks ago.” “Oh really? Oh yes, haha.” He said.
I no longer have homesick like first year, but home, mainly composed by the people I treasure, would come to my mind some time, under certain circumstances. And vice versa. Some miscellaneous, time of solitude and friends also knock my mind during my stay in Hong Kong.
There were times when a little sense of anxious just seeped out, before I come back to Hong Kong and to Princeton. Before and during the Hong Kong trips, I wanted to make sure I would be able to meet with people I cherish, but also to have enough rest so that I could engage in and savour the conversations. And when a new semester was upcoming, the sense of uncertainty would also sneak in through subtle ways.
But I have been learning this. Every step in life may come with both blessings and trials, be it at home, abroad, or even on the way to the promised land; but His love and grace remain unchanged. For Jesus is the Lord who grows life, but also the Lord who gives rest. He who allows trials and refinements to come so as to bring us closer to Him, also calms raging storms and waves, and restores life and rest in broken souls. It is in His Presence could we savour every bit of His goodness in every single step of life with anticipation.
“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)





No comments:

Post a Comment