Was talking with a friend about “rest”. “To you, what are the important elements for rest, or a restful environment?” She asked a question I hadn’t given any serious thoughts. “A heart of recognising that we need rest,” I thought for a second and answered, with memories from the end of last semester till this summer coming to my mind.
I had my comprehensive exam (aka General exam / ordeal) last semester. During the days and nights digging in the ocean of books, I told myself I would sleep 20 hours a day and eat a ton of good food after this crazy exam. But things were quite different from my expectation after passing the exam. There was an extended period of time I couldn't sleep or eat well, even after getting rid of the exam. There were days my eyes would just open in early morning, hadn't been able to get enough rest yet also felt bad about resting too much but not doing something productive. A friend once introduced me a few TV shows and we watched two episodes together, they were really fun. However, I just didn't want to watch time in my own time, feeling that I should do something else. But the problem was, neither was I able to concentrate very much on meaningful things or things I should do. My heart went so restless.
We can spend a good portion of wealth on big and fancy meals, a weekend on a stunning beach, or even hours on dramas and leisure books; but it doesn't necessarily mean that we would get rest and refreshed, if we don't recognise the need of deeper rest other than sleep or lie down and do nothing.
I do believe that’s not God’s will for His children to get overwhelmed or burnout for anything He entrusts us, not even for ministries. For God told His people to “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) For Jesus already promised “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) In real life it is not quite possible to get enough sleep every single night or be able to do fun things every weekend. But it is interesting for what follows after “be still” is “to know that I am God.” I believe the “still” here doesn't meet we do nothing and can have effortless success in every life area. Instead, we learn to let go after we try our best, and let God take care of the rest.
So does the “rest” in the second verse. To be honest, pour out to serve truly takes time and energy, it doesn't mean that we sit back and fold our hands to just wait for miracles to automatically happen. Rather, we learn to get back to Him to receive comfort, peace and even healing, and let Him restore a restful heart amidst things or even the pressure from ourselves that occupy us.
Appropriate rest does not mean complacency or do nothing; rather, to come to realise more on how much we need Jesus in life. To be faithful yet not overburdening our heart. To do our best yet also trusting He is in sovereignty. To make sacrificial offerings to Him yet also knowing He delights in His children resting in Him.
“Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.”(Psalms 127:1-2)

No comments:
Post a Comment