Thursday, May 19, 2016

(BP?) Anticipation

Anticipation is a very interesting feeling. It means we cannot immediately achieve the things we want but just have to wait, which is usually not a fun thing to do. But at the same time, the waiting process is filled with hope and joy.
The other day, a Christian teacher I respect a lot happened to be in Princeton for a meeting. We haven’t met each other for nearly 10 months. After hearing her coming, I sent an abrupt email to ask if we could meet, and she was very kind to offer her time. A week before our meeting, I began to get so excited to see her, for I still remember the enjoyable conversations we had last summer. End up we had a great talk over coffee, and the good memories of last summer also threw back. Looking at the tau cross necklace I was wearing, my teacher did not forget it’s a gift from her.
Another day, I was talking with my mentor and friend over the phone. I was complaining the summer language course that is going to trap me here for two whole months before I can fly back to Hong Kong to meet her, whom I miss a lot, and other beloved families and friends. “Two months will pass by quickly! And we can meet right after your language course!” Her response permeated a sense of excitement, and cast away the bit of sadness in my heart.
Being an international student means the chances of meeting with families and friends at home become so precious. The moments of actually sitting together to have good food and wonderful conversation are, for sure, marvelously great. But the anticipation in the time of waiting leading up to the actual reunion is a unique experience and delight that resembles a candle of hope, which can ignite even hearts in the midst of darkness.
Having people who are awesome enough to make us anticipating the reunion with them is amazing grace. And of course, having people who are equally excited to meet us as we do to them is another astonishing blessing in life.
Building up a deep relationship requires frequent investment of time and effort. However, for some special deep friendships, once the solid foundation is concretely built, I believe the memories and connection still remain even time changes and years go by. Thanks for my family and good friends at home and in Princeton who taught me this by the way they love me.



No comments:

Post a Comment