Friday, June 3, 2016

(BP?) Home

Was joking with a friend and defining “home” as where I don't have to do anything. (Thanks Mom & Dad! :D) To different people, home means different thing. To me, home means:
- There’s always an open door for me:
I once called my mom amidst the distress of preparing for the exam. I told her my worries about being kicked out if I couldn't pass the exam. As usual, her response was so surprising and comforting, “Well, if you really can’t study in Princeton anymore, the so-called ‘worst consequence’ is to come back home, which is something you always want. You know, our door is always open for you.” It left me with no words but a moved heart.
- There are people whom you just can't explain their love and kindness:
Although still six more weeks to go before I fly back, I can't help but already started planning. The other day I was asking my mentor if we can meet the next day right after I arrive Hong Kong, and if we should do lunch or dinner. In her constant kindness, she said she would take a day-off and make herself available the whole day so I could decide the meeting time when I know my schedule. Sometimes you just can't explain some people’s kindness and sacrificing spirit, but can only say in awe, “Jesus your love truly dwells in them.”
- There are people whom I want to meet so badly and who also want to see me:
I was in a place called Kanazawa in Japan around this time last summer for a wonderful Japanese language program. Instead of the amazing food, beautiful historical buildings and interesting museums, what makes me miss Kanazawa the most is my host family and the friends I met there.
Even though I only spent two months there, my sentimental affiliation with there is no less than with Princeton, where I have staying for three years. After passing the exam and confirming my shift of research field to modern Japan, I emailed my host family telling them I would have more chances to visit them in my future research trips. They were so kind to feel excited about that, and told me that among the international students they host over years, there is only 1 out of 10 people they could ever meet again, and this makes reunion a very special joy.
Because of my host family, I consider there as my second home. In Japanese, the verb for “go” under the context of going somewhere is “iku”, but for the “go” as going home, it has a different verb as “kaeru”. For Kanazawa, I would use the latter one.
To me, what nurtures my deepest emotional attachment toward a place is certainly not stunning architecture or fancy food, but people and the precious memories we made together. Historical relics may ruin, beautiful objects may cease to exist, but there must be something deeper, something more long-lasting. Love and the trajectory of precious memories always remains.
A prof. in Hong Kong once told me before I came here that study abroad would make me reflect a lot about home. My three years here proves she's right.
Of course, after all, His presence is where we ultimately belong to.
“Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. ...So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:8, 13)






No comments:

Post a Comment