一張5蚊紙與一個禱告
晚燈下,在車站候車。突然,一位女士走近,看著我。下意識,立即
後來我問了一些問題,想多聽一遍她的背景。原來,她是巴西人,由
當下我有點掙扎,一個陌生人貿貿然過來要錢,我無法判斷究竟她是
收好錢包後,突然有感動,很想邀請她一起禱告。最初,她誤會了我
平時,我是一個「多一事不如少一事」的人,除非牽涉我的底線,否
最終,可能我實在太煩,她答應與我一起祈禱。禱告中,說到一些關
禱告後,她要趕火車,我要趕巴士。她說著道謝的話,我說了一句”
還有一個很寶貴的學習:我們能帶給別人最大的祝福,不是金錢,而
5ドルと祈り
月曜日の晩、ニューヨークから帰って、駅でバスを待った。突然、
Aさんの背景をもっと了解するために、私は質問をした。実は、A
Aさんの問題を聞いて、私はどうしたら良いか分からなかった。と
後で、Aさんと一緒に祈りたくて、Aさんを招待した。最初、Aさ
私は論ずることが少し嫌いから、他の人と論じなかった方がいいと
最後、私が多分うるさすぎるかもしれなく、Aさんは私と一緒に祈
祈りの後で、Aさんは感謝の言葉を言って、電車へ行かなければな
ところで、それは、人生の授業のような経験だと思う。私たちは人
A $5-note and a prayer
When I was waiting for the bus at the station, a middle age lady suddenly approached. It was nearly 10p.m., with the dimmed light around, I could not help but think of the cheating cases committed by certain mainland Chinese in Hong Kong. The alarm in my brain rang, I was extra bewared of what she was going to do.
She came in front of me, and said something. But all I could understand was “My name is… …… I need your help to give me 5 dollars……” Later on I realised that she came from Brazil. English is not my native language, I have strong Cantonese accent, my ability of understanding different accents was highly limited, and I always have difficulties in listening to African and South American accents.
There were rumours that those advance thieves from mainland to Hong Kong would use some chemical stuff to make people dizzy, and steal everything from them. But after listening to her self introduction, I did not feel any sense of sickness, so I didn’t think she was going to hurt me.
Then I just asked some questions to try to understand more about her. Actually, she came from Brazil, and for some reasons she could not get a job here, lost her home, and just sleep in different spots every night. She was going to take the train to somewhere in the hope of a new start, but she was in need of money.
I was quite struggle at that point. A stranger suddenly popped up to ask for money, and I could not even fully understand what she was talking. Most importantly, I did not know if she was speaking the truth, or just cheated me. It was a struggling moment.
But I finally decided to trust her. I mean, if she was cheated me, then all I lost was 5 dollars, not a huge amount I couldn’t afford. However, if she was really in urgent need, I would be ignoring someone’s need that I was actually able to help.
And then suddenly I got a sense that I wanted to pray with her. Frankly, I don’t think $5 was going to help a lot, what I could offer more was to ask for His help. She first rejected me and said “I am a pastor’s daughter. But He closed all the doors.”
Frankly, I’m the type of people that would try my best to avoid arguing with others. But this time I just got the courage to insist for my belief. I kept telling her, the greatest blessing I could bring to her is not the money, but prayer.
Eventually, maybe I spoke too much, she agreed to let me pray for her. When I was praying for the perseverance to wait for His grace, and talking about certain feelings as an international, I heard she say “Amen! Amen!”
After the prayer, she had to rush for the train, and I had to get on to the bus. “Thank you” and “God bless you” were the end of our conversation. This might be the only chance in my life to meet this lady. The next time might be in heaven. I don’t know what the $5 note and the prayer would do for her life, but I am sure about one thing, God would turn our willingly offering as a blessing, even though it is a not-so-smooth prayer with strong Cantonese accent.
This was also a precious learning chance for me. The greatest blessing we could bring to others is not money, but hope. Through out actions, others could realise that God never forgets them, and there are some people still care about them, even they seem to be in the middle of the darkest moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment