Tuesday, April 29, 2014

你好,我是香港人。 Hello, I am a Hongkonger.

(Chinese and English versions of 「私は香港人です。どうぞよろしく。」)

人在外地,作自我介紹的時候,我總是說"Hi, I'm Chris. I came from Hong Kong",但漸漸觀察到,我所遇到來自中國大陸的同學,都是說"I came from China",然後通常待別人問及哪個地域,才會提及出生地。有趣的現象。 

當然,對我來說,無論何種場合,我都會堅持這個介紹:我來自香港/我是香港人。這可能是政治不正確,但我從來不在意。所謂「正確」,也不過是由一些人所定義的主觀標準。能擁抱地方身份,對我而言是值得珍惜的事。 

先不談及部份令人極為反感的內地人的行為。單從歴史上,香港島自1842年成為英國殖民地,其後九龍半島與新界相繼割讓、租借予英國。一百多年的歴史,足以促使香港擁有截然不同的歴史背景、文化、思考方式與信念。還有,我們的母語從來都是廣東話,我們使用的是繁體字。 

所以,每當有同學問我是否來自中國,我都會答:「其實我來自香港」,部份人並不太清楚兩者的分別,所以如果時間許可,我通常會解釋一下。部份朋友對此也很感興趣。 

一位undergrad的同學最近曾參與其residential hall的活動,到了中大交流一星期。上星期二,她與其他同學分享那次香港之行。席間,看到他們在香港拍的照片、聽到他們對香港各方面的欣賞,作為香港人,我真的很開心! 

雖然這個地方近年有很多問題,包括一個誠信破產、以弱勢社群作政治籌碼的政府、因過度購物而自以為是香港救世主的某國遊客,但這仍然是我所喜愛的地方(我不想用「城市」,因為我也喜愛郊野與離島)。 

看到一幀幀照片,就想很快點回來,品嚐不可思議的美食、重遊不可思議的小島風光。


Whenever doing self-introduction here, I always say "Hi, I'm Chris. I came from Hong Kong." Nonetheless, the mainland Chinese schoolmates I met would always say "I came from China." And then if people ask for their native place, they would tell the city or the province. 

Frankly, no matter what, I would still insist "I am a Hongkonger." It might be politically incorrect yet I don't even care. The standard of so-called "political correct" is just constructed by certain group of people under the nation-building process. I treasure the freedom of embracing my local identity. 

First not to mention the disgusting behaviours of certain mainland Chinese visitors, just the colonial historical context is enough to shape Hong Kong into a totally different place. Hong Kong Island became a British colony since 1842, Kowloon Peninsula followed in 1860, and then New Territories became a concession in 1899. The more-than-a-hundred-year colonial context led to unique history, culture, ideologies and beliefs in Hong Kong, which is fundamentally different from mainland China. Our language is Cantonese, and we use traditional Chinese characters. 

That's why whenever people asked if I am from China, I would correct the question and state that I came from Hong Kong. If time is available, I try to talk more about the differences. 

Last week an undergraduate fellow invited me to her sharing session of the Hong Kong trip during the Spring Break. They showed lots of beautiful pictures and generously shared their appreciations on various aspects of Hong Kong. As a Hongkonger, I was so glad to hear that. 

Even the condition of Hong Kong is getting severe in recent years because of an unreliable and irresponsible government, as well as certain awful and uncivilized visitors from a nation, this is still my beloved native place. 

After seeing all the photos, I really want to get back home for amazing food and wonderful places like Cheung Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment